Monday, June 27, 2011

The Mighty Niagara

Niagara Falls has always had a special place in my heart, and I am looking forward to visiting again this week for my cousin Sarah’s wedding. 

I have been to Niagara Falls more times then I can count on my hands and toes, but still every time I visit I get chills.  There is just something so magical and amazing about the 150,000 gallons of water that fall over the 176 foot falls every second. 



When visiting the falls you have an option of either the Canadian or American side.  Personally I love the American side (I know I’m probably in the minority here), and that is what I will focus on for this entry.

My first visit to Niagara Falls was when I was in diapers and I truly have no recollection of the trip, but there are pictures.  There was then a field trip in 3rd grade and a family day trip in 4th grade.  I can remember my mother trying to get me to go on the Maid of the Mist and me refusing as I was afraid the boat would tip and I would drown in the 200 feet deep river just below the massive falls.  I believe I finally went on Maid of the Mist a few years later, and then again several times in college, and again when I went back to visit after I’d moved to Florida.  What can I say it may be one of my favorite boat rides.



As a Western New Yorker I have to say that we truly take it for granted that we have this wonder of the world in our backyard.  Most people like me go for a field trip at some point during their schooling and don’t return unless some out of towner is visiting.  However, when I went to Niagara University (just 5 miles away) I found myself visiting the falls, and the gorge on at least a monthly basis.  As I said there’s just something that keeps me coming back.

There are three main parts to Niagara Falls; The American Falls, The Bridal Veil Falls, and The Canadian/Horseshoe Falls.  While the view of the three is best from the Canadian side, I think it’s great that you can actually stand next to and in between the American and Bridal Veil Falls while on the American Side.  I also think the “above the falls” experience is better on the American side.  There are several areas where you can view how the large volume of water gets more and more tumultuous as it narrows and approaches the falls.



Niagara Falls State Park offers the best view.  The park is located on Goat Island, which is a small piece of land located between the American and Canadian Falls.  The park offers trails starting from the rapids down to the brink of the falls.  It is also the access point for my two favorite attractions; Maid of the Mist and Cave of the Winds. 

I mentioned the Maid of the Mist above, and my sheer terror and then future delight of the half hour ride.  The Maid of the Mist began as a ferry transporting people from the American shore to the Canadian shore.  Once bridges were built there wasn’t a need for the boats, and the operation was then changed to a tourist attraction.  In the mid-1900s the experience changed yet again, and the boats were built stronger and better allowing them closer access to the falls.  Visitors access Maid of the Mist via the observation tower on Goat Island.  They are given a poncho to prepare themselves for the wet ride ahead.  The tour is approximately a half an hour long.  The captain brings the boat as close as safely possible to the bottom of both the American and Canadian falls while providing facts about the river and the falls.  Beware you will get wet! 



Another attraction that is located in Goat Island is Cave of the Winds.  You will also get soaked on this adventure, as you can literally stand right below the Bridal Veil Falls.  The trip begins with an elevator ride down into the gorge.  Decked out in a poncho and special sandals guests walk along the gorge to the famous Hurricane Deck.  You are probably familiar with this deck from the Thompson's Water Seal commercial.  It is then up to you the visitor how close you'd like to get.  As you get closer you get wetter!  At the top of the deck you are practically under the falls, and it is one of the most amazing experiences.  The power from the rush of water is unbelievable, and to think it's the smallest of the three falls!

Now the attraction that definitely soaks you the most is the Whirlpool Jet Boat.  It is located down river from the falls in Lewiston New York.  The attraction is just as it's name suggests a jet boat that takes guests into the class 5 rapids of the lower Niagara, including Devil's Hole and the Whirlpool.  Visitors have the choice between a traditional jet boat and a covered boat which will keep you dry.  I assure you this will be one of the most amazing boat rides of your life.  The one fact I remember from my trip was at one point the amount of water that is dumped on your head is the equivalent of an olympic sized swimming pool!  With several runs through the rapids you are assured that you are not leaving this boat dry, unless of course you choose the covered boat!



Of course the summer months are the best time to visit and all the attractions are open.  However, this past Christmas when I was home we visited the falls and I have to say the views were breathtaking.  Beware, all walkways and railings are covered in ice from the mist, and it is definitely cold, so dress appropriately! 



All three attractions mentioned above are avaialble on either the American or Canadian side.  However, my preference is the American side due to the views, and the natural beauty that has been maintained within the state park.  The Canadian side has become very commercialized, but is definitely worth the walk across the Rainbow Bridge to experience, and if you are staying more then a day I would recommend lodging on the Canadian side.  I would recommed everyone visits Niagara Falls at least once in their lifetime.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment